Vantage Credit Union is dedicated to helping students reach their educational goals through higher education. Over the years, we’ve awarded hundreds of thousands of dollars in college scholarships to graduating high school seniors. Plus, we’ve hosted numerous financial aid seminars to help parents and students make the transition to college easier. To that end, Vantage remains committed to helping members in the pursuit of higher education by providing related information here on our website.
What You Need To Know
QFE Scholarship applications become available in November and are awarded the following spring. We award ten $1,000 scholarships to young members who qualify, to be paid to the recipients’ chosen accredited college or university at the time of fall registration. One scholarship is awarded per recipient, and funds can be used for books and tuition.
Any Vantage Credit Union member who is a graduating high school senior and a primary account holder may apply * for our QFE scholarship. If you’re not a member, you may open an account and become eligible to apply.
The QFE Scholarship application consists of:
1. A student essay: If you could have one do-over in your life, what would it be and why? Elaborate on your experience and how the do-over would affect future outcomes and possibilities. (one page maximum)
2. A resume: Your resume (maximum two pages) should highlight your job history, extracurricular activities (sports, clubs, volunteer work, community service) and any awards or honors you’ve earned. Consider this your professional resume, using a proper business resume layout.
3. Two letters of recommendation: One from a teacher (whom you’ve had for class), and one from a sponsor, employer or coach (sponsor = an individual who has directly and actively led an extracurricular activity or organization in which the applicant has participated)
The letters should address your character; what the teacher/sponsor believes are your greatest attributes; specific accomplishments; examples of educational, employment and/or community leadership; your potential for future personal achievement; and why the teacher/sponsor feels you deserve a Quest For Education Scholarship.
4. Credit Union Membership: How long you have had your own account with Vantage. (See eligibility section above for more information.)
All required information must be submitted online by the application deadline; incomplete applications will be disqualified.
Financial need isn’t a criterion for this award, nor is class rank, SAT/ACT score or grade point average. Any applicant who provides such information (including in the recommendation letters) will be disqualified.
Applications are judged by a group comprised of Vantage Credit Union volunteers, members and employees. Judging takes place January through February. Winners will be notified in late March. All decisions are final.
Applications must be received by January 30, 2021.
Recommendation letters must be received by February 6, 2021.
NOTE: Our scholarship application process is digital. The student must have their essay and resume complete to apply. Be prepared to provide a name and email address for your teacher and sponsor, if available. Once you have uploaded your portion of the application, you will receive a unique URL by email to share with them. The letters of recommendation must be submitted by the author through the provided link before the deadline. We recommend asking them to commit to writing a letter of recommendation well before the deadline and completing your portion of the application early to ensure they have time to draft and submit their letters.
314.298.0055 or 800.522.6009 / ask for Marketing if you have any further questions or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional College Resources through Vantage
You may want to explore these websites for additional information on scholarship opportunities:
- FAFSA: Free Application for Federal Student Aid
- FinAid: The SmartStudent Guide to Financial Aid
- Missouri Department of Higher Education
All applicants will receive consideration for our scholarship without regard to sex, race, color, national origin or ancestry, religion, age, handicap, financial need or marital status.
* Applicants who have full scholarships or congressional appointment to a military academy where further awards won’t be meaningful are not eligible. Vantage Board and Supervisory members, staff, and their families are not eligible to receive this award. The term “immediate family” includes spouses, siblings, parents, children, grandparents, and grandchildren, whether as “in-laws” or by current marriage, adoption, or cohabitation, and any other persons residing at the same household whether or not related.