Do you remember when you didn’t have to distinguish “mail” between email and snail mail? Even the term snail mail reveals how much we rely upon the instantaneous communication that interconnectivity provides—our lives move fast, so we want our communication to do the same. Of course, that speed also comes with dangers and risks.
As fast as our communication flies around the world, it seems that new spam appears daily in our inboxes. A simple click could get you into trouble if you aren’t careful, so it’s important to take your email security seriously.
Thankfully, Vantage is here with a few Smart Security Tips to help! Avoid suspicious characters, scams, and malware with these helpful email “dos” and “don’ts”.
Five “Dos” of Email Safety:
- Install antivirus and firewall programs, AND keep them up to date!
- Always filter spam, and update your spam filter periodically to keep yourself protected.
- Always have multi-factor security on your accounts and logins.
- Look closely at email addresses and urls–a single letter difference could indicate that the email or site might not be legitimate.
- Use your common sense. Being skeptical of offers and senders is the first step in keeping your personal and financial information safe.
Five “Don’ts” of Email Safety:
- Don’t trust unsolicited emails, or emails from addresses you don’t recognize.
- Don’t send funds to people via email, and never email your account number, Social Security number, or passwords to someone.
- Don’t trust the too-good-to-be-true offers, because they most likely aren’t true.
- Don’t trust emails that are generically addressed to “Dear consumer” or “Dear customer” or otherwise—If they don’t know your name, it’s quite possible that the email is spam.
- Don’t open any unknown attachment, or click on any link in a suspicious email.
Because the internet moves so quickly, it’s easy to feel like a snail whenever you pause. Yet, one of the most effective safety tips is simply to stop and give a second thought. Taking a moment to think before you reply or click can be one of the most effective ways to stay safe and secure.
How seriously are you taking your email safety? Step up your security with our Dos and Don’ts!